Paleo Toasted Coconut Brownies recipe. A healthier almond flour brownie flavored with freshly made toasted coconut.
Toasted coconut has been calling my name lately. I love the crunch, the hint of sweetness and the roasted toastiness of it.
So I put it into a brownie.
Well I actually put toasted coconut both inside and outside of a brownie and called them Paleo Toasted Coconut Brownies. 🙂
These Paleo Toasted Coconut Brownies are amazing!
They are fudgy, chocolatey, satisfying brownies full of the nice crunch and flavor of toasted coconut…
Topped with melted chocolate
And then topped with more toasted coconut!
And if that doesn’t sound good enough, these Paleo Toasted Coconut Brownies are cocoa powder based.
Cocoa powder = less calories.
1/3 cup of cocoa powder (which is the amount used here) is 65 calories.
1/3 cup of chocolate chips is 400 calories. (I’m looking at enjoy life mini chocolate chips; which is what I normally use in baking)
Not to knock brownies made of melted chocolate… we all know I love myself gooey brownies made of melted chocolate. One of my most favorite brownie go-tos are my Skinny Paleo Brownies.
BUUT it’s always nice to cut a bit of calories when you are adding a little something something to the brownie.
Like a little toasted coconut inside, and a little melted chocolate and toasted coconut on the outside!
That kind of something something. 🙂
I love how there is a toastiness infused into the flavor of these Paleo Toasted Coconut Brownies.
And I especially really love how there is an extra dimension of toasted coconut on top of them as well.
I had tried topping these with toasted coconut before baking and found that this didn’t work as I’d hoped.
So, I came up with the idea to melt a little bit of chocolate and slather it on top of the brownies. AND THEN to top the brownies in more toasted coconut.
It worked perfectly.
Other Paleo brownie recipes you may enjoy:
Paleo Toasted Coconut Brownies (GF)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 in x 9 in pan and line the pan with parchment paper.
- Toast the shredded coconut –> Put 1 cup of shredded coconut and 2 tsp of maple syrup in a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. Mix everything together and then mix every so often until the coconut has toasted, about 3-5 minutes (could be more or less time depending on the heat of your stovetop).
- In a large bowl, mix olive oil, 1/2 cup maple syrup, and vanilla together with a whisk. Whisk in eggs.
- In another bowl, mix the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt with a fork.
- Mix the bowl of dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and mix.
- Fold in 3/4 cups of the toasted coconut and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the brownie pulls away from the edges of the pan. Remove from the oven, let sit for a few minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt ¼ cup of the chocolate chips with ¼ tsp coconut oil in the microwave. Drizzle the chocolate on top of the brownies and smooth over the top evenly with a knife. Top the chocolate with the remaining ¼ cup toasted coconut.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.