Thyme Infused Roasted Chicken +Root Veggies (Paleo, GF)
I’m in love with this Thyme Infused Roasted Chicken +Root Veggies recipe. It is so incredibly flavorful and so incredibly easy to make, that I’m convinced it is the perfect meal. I made it last Sunday and then I made it again this Sunday. And basically, I’m thinking that roasting a chicken is going to be my new Sunday ritual.
I may be late on the roasting chicken bandwagon since the truth is…
I had never roasted a chicken before last Sunday!
I always thought it would be a difficult or time consuming matter, and I was always a little bit scared of trying it.
But to my surprise, this Thyme Infused Roasted Chicken +Root Veggies recipe wasn’t hard to make.
I filled the cavity of the chicken with lemon, garlic, and a mixture of salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.
Then, I covered the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary…and a few slices of lemon.
I surrounded the chicken with garlic, onion, mushrooms, carrots and parsnips.
You might think that you are putting too many veggies in the pot, but they shrink and they are a wonderful side.
Then, I threw it all into the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
That’s it. The chicken cooks itself and marinates in it’s own juices.
Um… YUM! Plus the vegetables are covered in a home-made gravy of sorts. I meaaan, does it get any better?
But I didn’t get from start to finish of actually roasting a chicken that easily… it took me months to even attempt cooking one!
(I’m kicking myself for waiting so long)
My sister had been telling me about how often she roasts a chicken at home and how delicious it is.
So I started tagging cooking magazine pages of roasted chicken recipes, but I never took the next step to actually making one.
But when my sister sent me a roasting pan a.k.a “a roaster” for my birthday, I knew that I now had no excuse.
I asked my sister for tips because she is the roasted chicken expert in our family.
She lives in France and often buys roasted chickens at the local market and, as I mentioned, she makes them at home all the time.
She frequently texts me about the most recent version of roasted chicken she’s made (with mustard, with or without potatoes…etc)
So, I knew she would be able to guide me to making a roasted chicken “a la française”.
And as you can see from this post, her tips were spot-on because this chicken was spectacular! I believe my fiancé’s first words upon trying it was, “this is good-ass chicken.” haha
So if you have been hesitant about roasting a chicken, or if you want a new roasted chicken recipe, this Thyme Infused Roasted Chicken + Root Veggies recipe will not disappoint.
It is perfect for spring, is naturally non-processed and Paleo, and is so much easier to make than you’d think!
I like making this recipe on Sunday so that I can have leftovers on Monday. It starts the week off right. 🙂
This recipe was shared at the Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable.
Thyme Infused Roasted Chicken +Root Veggies
- One 5-5.5 pound roasting chicken
- 2 tsp course sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp thyme, , divided
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 lemon, , sliced into 3 pieces
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, , sliced and cut in half
- 3-4 parsnips, , chopped into larger slices ( I cut each one into 4 pieces)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, , sliced
- 6-8 large carrots, , chopped into larger slices ( I cut each one into 4 pieces)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease the bottom of a roasting pan with some olive oil.
- Remove the inside of the chicken (the giblets) and place it upside down (thighs up) into a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp of course sea salt, 1 tsp of ground black pepper, 1 tsp of thyme, and 1 tsp of rosemary together. Put 1/2 of the seasoning mix inside of the chicken (in the cavity). Rub the other 1/2 of the seasoning onto the outside of the chicken.
- Peel the head of garlic, chop the bottom of it, and remove all the outside of the garlic until only the naked bulbs are left. This was around 9-10 bulbs for me. Put 1/2 of the garlic bulbs into the cavity of the chicken. Put the rest into the roasting pan, around the chicken.
- Take 2 of the pieces of lemon and squeeze them into the cavity of the chicken and put the pieces into the cavity. Lay the chicken back down.
- Slice a few slices of lemon from the third piece of the lemon. Squeeze the rest onto the outside of the chicken and throw the rind away. Place the slices of lemon on top of the chicken (this is for decoration purposes AND taste, the lemon candies and tastes fantastic).
- Sprinkle the sliced onion around the chicken.
- Put the sliced parsnip, baby bella mushrooms, and carrots around the chicken as well.
- Evenly pour 1 Tbs of olive oil onto the the veggies surrounding the chicken. Evenly top the veggies with 1 tsp of thyme.
- Pour 2 tsp of olive oil onto the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the cover and cook for another 15 minutes uncovered.
- The chicken will be done when you can cut between the leg and the thigh and only clear juices come out. Mine was done after 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.