Roast Chicken with Apples and Potatoes (Dairy-free)
Roast Chicken with Apples and Potatoes recipe. A juicy and flavorful roasted chicken cooked with apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and carrots. The perfect homemade meal!
Every time that I roast a chicken at home, I tell myself that I need to do it more often. The house smells amazing, and the roast chicken tastes as good as it smells.
This Roast Chicken with Apples and Potatoes is no exception. It’s covered in a thyme, rosemary, onion and sage seasoning and is cooked along with apples, sweet potatoes, carrots and white potatoes.
It’s a full meal cooked all in one pan!
Oh and the natural gravy / juices that come from roasting this chicken is AMAZING.
All the spices mix into the chicken juices, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
The juice taste so good on top of all the veggies, along with on top of the chicken. NOM.
The apples also soften and pair incredibly well with the chicken. It is just perfect.
Ingredients needed to make this Roast Chicken with Apples and Potatoes recipe:
- a roasting chicken
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
- onion powder
- rubbed sage
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
I get my roasting chicken from Trader Joes. I find they have great quality options!
How to make this roasted chicken recipe:
Start off by making a seasoning out of sea salt, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, onion powder, and sage.
Put 1/4 of the seasoning inside the cavity of the chicken. Then cover the outside of the chicken with the remaining seasoning.
Put some of the garlic bulbs inside the chicken and the rest surrounding the chicken.
Then, squeeze some lemon inside the cavity of the chicken and some more on the outside of the chicken.
Surround the chicken with the carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes and apples.
Then pour some olive oil on top of the veggies, along with some thyme and rosemary.
Lastly, cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook the chicken for an hour and 10 minutes.
Half way through this time, mix the veggies together. You could even do this three times. Make sure to get some of the chicken juices on top of the veggies and also sprinkle some on top of the chicken.
Then, remove the foil and cook the chicken for another 20-40 minutes.
How to serve this roasted chicken:
This is a one pot meal, so you honestly don’t need to add anything.
Make sure to eat the chicken with parts of the softened apple… the combination is just too good!
However if you want to add something to this dish, I suggest making rice. It tastes great all together!
Other healthy chicken recipes you may enjoy:
This Chicken Leg Quarters recipe by Food Doodles looks perfect and only requires 5 ingredients! Yum!
This baked Paleo Maple Lime Chicken (GF) is full of great maple and lime flavor.
I absolutely love the sauce in this Creamy Mustard Tomato Chicken Casserole (Paleo, Whole30, GF) dish. It’s sweet and creamy and delicious.
Roast Chicken with Apples and Potatoes (Dairy-free)
- one 5 pound roasting chicken
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme, divided
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, divided
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 lemons, 1 lemon cut into 3 pieces and the other sliced
- 1 head of garlic
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes, sliced thick
- 3-4 medium gold potatoes, sliced thick
- 2 apples, each cut into 6 larger pieces
- 6-8 large carrots, chopped into larger slices ( I cut each carrot into 4-6 pieces)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the inside of the chicken (the giblets) and place it upside down (thighs up) into a large roasting pan. ( I like using a 16 x 12.5 x 3 1/4 in pan)
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp of course sea salt, 1 tsp of ground black pepper, 1 tsp of thyme, 1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp onion powder, and1 tsp rubbed sage together. Put 1/4 of the seasoning mix inside of the chicken (in the cavity). Rub the other 3/4 of the seasoning onto the outside of the chicken.
- Peel the head of garlic, and remove all the outside of the garlic until only the naked bulbs are left. This was around 9-10 cloves for me. Put 1 or 2 the cloves into the cavity and the rest into the roasting pan, around the chicken.
- Take 2 of the larger pieces of lemon and squeeze them into the cavity of the chicken and put the pieces into the cavity. Lay the chicken back down.
- Squeeze the third piece of lemon onto the outside of the chicken and throw the rind away. Place the slices of lemon on top of the chicken (this is for decoration purposes AND taste, the lemon candies and tastes fantastic).
- Put the carrots, sweet potato, potato and apple around the chicken.
- Evenly pour 1/4 cup olive oil onto the the veggies surrounding the chicken. Evenly top the veggies with 1 tsp of thyme and 1 tsp rosemary. Mix the veggies around and make sure they all look like they are covered in oil.
- Sprinkle a bit more olive oil onto the top of the chicken. I like to spray it with an olive oil spray on top.
- Cover the whole roasting pan with aluminum foil, and cook the chicken for 1 hour and 15 minutes. ( Half way through cooking, mix the veggies together).
- Then remove the aluminum foil, mix the veggies again, trying to get some of the juices onto the veggies and also a bit on top of the chicken. Cook the chicken uncovered for another 30-50 minutes.
- The chicken will be done when you can cut between the leg and the thigh and only clear juices come out. Make sure the veggies are all cooked through prior to removing from the oven.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.