Dutch Oven Peach and Maple Chicken Thighs (Paleo, GF)
Dutch Oven Peach & Maple Chicken Thighs recipe. A delicious and healthy chicken dish made with peaches, carrots, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes.
I recently ate the best chicken thighs dish. I literally found myself almost yelling “Yummmmm!”, as I ate it.
Since I have never made chicken thighs before (I stick to the same old chicken breast whenever I buy chicken at the grocery store), I decided that it was high time to do so.
And thus this Dutch Oven Peach & Maple Chicken Thighs recipe was born.
Then I thought about what else would taste good in a chicken dish with peaches.
Ingredients needed to make this Dutch Oven Peach & Maple Chicken Thighs recipe:
- chicken thighs
- lemon juice
- maple syrup
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- herbes de provence
- sweet potatoes
I feel like turnips and regular potatoes would taste great here as well!
How to make this Dutch Oven Peach & Maple Chicken Thighs recipe:
Start off by mixing some of your spices together to cover your chicken thighs in. Mix the sea salt, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, and herbes de provence together. Then cover the chicken thighs in the seasoning.
Next cook your garlic and onion in the dutch oven. Top them with the chicken thighs and cook for a few minutes.
Then flip the chicken and add lemon juice, maple syrup, peaches, mushrooms, carrots and sweet potatoes to the pan.
Add a lid to the dutch oven and cook for about 30 minutes.
The sauce that results from cooking the chicken in the lemon juice and maple syrup is really scrumptious. The peaches melt into the sauce as well giving the whole dish a wonderful summery feel.
I topped my veggies in it, and I even sprinkled some onto rice too.
A few tips:
If you find the sauce too liquidy, remove the chicken and most of the veggies and add some tapioca flour to it.
I found that it thickened up with time, so if you let the chicken cool a bit after, it’s perfect.
Note: I used 1/3 cup of maple syrup, but if you want it less sweet, try 1/4.
Also, make sure not to skip the step where you put the chicken thighs into the pan skin side down.
This results in such a nice crispy topping. 🙂
Other healthy peach recipes you may enjoy:
Dutch Oven Peach & Maple Chicken Thighs (paleo, GF)
- 2 Tbs minced garlic ( this was 5 cloves for me)
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes (use less if using regular salt)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp herbes de provence
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 peach , peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 carrots , peeled and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 of a peeled sweet potato , cut into 2 inch pieces
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tsp sea salt flakes, 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper, 1 tsp of rosemary, 1/2 tsp of thyme, and 1/2 tsp herbs de provence together. Cover the chicken thighs in the seasoning and set aside.
- Put the minced garlic, yellow onion, and 1 Tbs of olive oil into a large dutch oven, and mix. ( I used a 3 quart large cast iron dutch oven, 15 x 4 x 13 inches). Heat over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the chicken thighs into the dutch oven, skin side down and push them into the garlic and onion. Let the chicken cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low- medium. Using tongs, flip the chicken over and top with 1/3 cup of lemon juice, 1/3 cup of maple syrup, the diced peach, sliced mushrooms, chopped carrots, and chopped sweet potatoes. Cook uncovered for 6-7 minutes.
- Then place the lid on top of the dutch oven and cook, covered for 30 minutes (note: half way through, spoon some of the liquid onto the tops of the chicken).
- Remove the lid, cook uncovered for 5 more minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.