Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake
This Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake is a moist almond flour pumpkin cake that is made with olive oil and pumpkin spice. It is frosted with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
If you are looking for a healthier pumpkin cake that is full of flavor, then look no further! This Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake has a wonderful pumpkin and pumpkin spice taste.
It’s also made with healthier ingredients like almond flour and olive oil (instead of white flour and butter). And it is made with less sugar than many other pumpkin cakes, for a lighter all around gluten-free and grain-free pumpkin cake. But, with all the same pumpkin cake flavor!
Oh and I almost forgot! This pumpkin cake is topped in a tangy delicious cream cheese frosting, which pairs so well with the cinnamon pumpkin flavor of the cake. YUM.
It took me several tries to get this pumpkin olive oil cake right.
The reason for this is because I used almond flour and olive oil, which changes up the ratios of everything else that needs to go into a pumpkin cake.
But once I finally got the ratios right, man oh man, is this almond flour based pumpkin cake just perfect!
Ingredients in this Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake
- almond flour– blanched almond flour is best in baking so that the cake can be light and spongy
- coconut flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- pumpkin pie spice– you can also use a mixture of ground ginger, cloves, all spice and nutmeg to make your own pumpkin spice
- olive oil– use an extra light olive oil for lighter flavor
- brown sugar– you can also use coconut sugar if you prefer
- pumpkin puree– I used canned pumpkin puree here
- cream cheese (use a non-dairy cream cheese like Kite Hill, if you want this recipe to be completely dairy-free)
- powdered sugar
- lemon juice
How to make this gluten-free pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting
To start, you mix the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in one bowl.
In another bowl, you whisk the olive oil, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
Then, pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and mix again. After that, let the batter sit for a few minutes. I like to let batters with coconut flour sit for a few minutes so that it can absorb the liquid as it needs to.
Pour the batter into your round pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a tooth pick comes out clean when you test it.
While the cake is cooling, then you can make the cream cheese frosting! To do this put the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon juice into a food processor and mix until smooth.
Once the cake is cool, you can frost it and then serve.
Note: you can double this recipe to make a large double layer cake.
(1) Do you have to use almond flour?
Well yes, it is an almond flour pumpkin cake. But you could try sunflower seed flour or other nut flours.
(2) Is this cake dairy-free?
The pumpkin olive oil cake itself is dairy-free but the cream cheese frosting has dairy in it. You can easily use dairy-free cream cheese to make a dairy-free frosting. I like Kite Hill.
(3) Is this cake Paleo?
No because baking powder, brown sugar, and powdered sugar are not Paleo.
(4) What can I use instead of brown sugar?
You can use coconut sugar or maple sugar.
(5) What can I do if I don’t have pumpkin pie spice?
You can make your own pumpkin spice using ground nutmeg, cloves, ginger and all spice.
Other healthier pumpkin recipes you may enjoy:
Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake
Pumpkin olive oil cake ingredients:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, (or 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground all spice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream cheese frosting ingredients:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature (dairy-free cream cheese can also be used)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Grease a 9 inch round pan, and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract together until combined
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and mix until completely combined. Let the batter sit for a few minutes.
- Pour the batter into the round pan and bake for 25 minutes. The cake should be golden and a toothpick should come out clean.
- While the cake cools, make the cream cheese frosting. Add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon juice to a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, frost with the cream cheese frosting and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.