Paleo Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew (Whole30)
Paleo Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew recipe. A rich and satisfying crock pot recipe made of beef, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms and seasoned with tomato paste, apple juice, beef broth and lots of spices.
There’s just something so cozy about a good beef stew. The longer it cooks, the better. Which is why using a slow cooker is great for this type of recipe.
I really love this Paleo Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew because it’s made with simple healthy ingredients, is relatively easy to get together, and then it cooks itself for several hours… resulting in a rich, satisfying stew with lots of flavor.
Yes beef stew can have a lot of flavor!
I’ve encountered lots of recipes where the stew is really bland. I’ve even seen some argue that beef stew is supposed to be bland, but I just don’t agree.
Honestly, the key to having a really flavorful beef stew is to use lots of spices!
Ingredients needed to make this Paleo Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew:
- stew meat
- tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- beef broth
- apple juice
- dried rosemary
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- dried time
- bay leaves
- rubbed sage
- tapioca flour
I know it may look like there are a lot of spices in this recipe, but it really makes all the difference.
All the flavors from the ingredients in this recipe are really enhanced by cooking together so long in the slow cooker. It’s like they melt together and compliment each other.
The tomatoes and apple sauce sweeten the soup while the chili powder, sage, garlic powder, and rosemary season it.
How to make it:
To start, you need to get a large slow cooker out and then put the cut up carrots and potatoes inside.
Then, you brown the meat while seasoning it with garlic, onion, tomato paste, salt and pepper. After that, add the browned meat to the slow cooker.
Next, you add the beef broth, apple juice, and the rest of the spices (rosemary, garlic powder, chili powder, dried parsley, thyme, bay leaf, rubbed sage, salt and pepper) to the slow cooker.
Lastly you cook everything for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker.
The mushrooms need to be added after a few hours of cooking, along with the the tapioca flour and water mixture.
The tapioca flour and water mixture is used to thicken up the soup. I like adding it after the rest of the soup has had a bit of time to cook.
I hope you enjoy this Irish beef stew as much as I do.
To be honest, I never appreciated Irish food until I lived in Ireland. ( I lived in Northern Ireland for about a year)
I ate the most delicious, high quality meals in Ireland. Their cows are certainly very happy because their dairy and there meat are top notch. Also, there are just so many creative talented chefs.
This Paleo Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew just takes me back. It’s got great favor and is rich and satisfying.
Plus it is healthy too! It’s naturally whole30, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and made with clean ingredients. Which leaves room for great dessert. 🙂
Other Beef Stew Recipes you may like:
Check out this Gluten-Free Beef Stew recipe by My Gluten-free Kitchen for a yummy slow cooker beef stew idea.
If you are an Instant Pot fan, check out this Instant Pot Beef Stew by Evolving Table. It’s Gluten-free and Dairy-free!
And also check out my Hearty Hungarian Beef Stew, it’s another great slow cooker recipe with lots of amazing paprika flavor!
Paleo Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew (Whole30)
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1.5 lbs potatoes, cut into larger diced chunks ( I used dutch baby yellow potatoes and cut them in fourths)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck or stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 white onion, diced large
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt to put on top of stew meat when browning
- 1 tsp pepper to put on top of stew meat when browning
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1.5 tsps garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt ( for stew seasoning), (more or less to taste- I added 1 tsp to the pot)
- ½ tsp pepper ( for stew seasoning)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 Tbs coconut aminos, (optional, adds extra flavor)
- 2 Tbs water
- 2 Tbs tapioca flour
- Place the cut carrots and potatoes into a large slow cooker.
- Brown the meat in two batches. Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Put half the beef cubes, half the diced garlic, half a diced onion, half the tomato paste, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground pepper in pan, fry in the hot oil until browned… 3- 3.5 minutes. Repeat with the next batch. Place the browned meat on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Add the beef broth and apple juice to the slow cooker. Top with all the stew seasoning ( 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1.5 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp dried parsley, 1/2-1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp rubbed sage). Mix the seasoning into the liquid in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High for 6 hours (or Low for 8 hours). After 4 hours of cooking, add the quartered mushrooms. During the last hour of cooking, dissolve the tapioca flour in water in a small bowl, and then stir the mixture into the broth.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.