Fresh Paleo Coleslaw
I know coleslaw isn’t Irish or anything, but one thing that I have noticed since moving to Ireland is that they sure love their coleslaw over here! I mean, they put it in their salads, they put it in their sandwiches and it seems to be a side for many a pub meal.
Plus it’s especially delicious here… it’s creamier, less sweet, and less complicated than coleslaw back home, which makes it all the more refreshing. And which made it seem like a good recipe to post for St. Patrick’s Day!
It has been a real treat being able to try the coleslaw recipes here (spoken like a true coleslaw lover haha).
The cabbage and carrots are just so fresh that the crunch and sweetness from them are really quite delightful.
Plus the creaminess of the coleslaw is just decadent.
I think Ireland wins for best creamy coleslaw. Seriously.
And the deliciousness of it all inspired me to come up with this Fresh Paleo Coleslaw recipe. 🙂
Like the Irish recipes that I’ve enjoyed, I used shredded white cabbage and carrots as the salad part of the coleslaw.
But to give it a Paleo twist, I came up with my own coleslaw dressing. I used Caro’s Mayo recipe, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and paprika.
The dressing part is totally customizable too. If you like more sweetness you can add more honey. If you like more of a vinegar-taste, just add more apple cider vinegar.
The great thing is that you can really tweak it to your liking. Which is why I added paprika here. Delllish.
I don’t know if I can ever see coleslaw the same way after living here.
I highly recommend trying it if you visit Ireland.. or adding it to your salads and sandwiches. But in the meantime, enjoy this Fresh Paleo Coleslaw.
A healthier coleslaw version.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! 🙂
Paleo Coleslaw (GF)
- 3 cups of white cabbage sliced very thin/shredded (this was 1/2 of a head of white cabbage for me and I chose to slice it to have larger crunchier pieces)
- 1 cup of shredded carrots (this was 1 large carrot for me)
- Caro’s Mayo recipe (which makes exactly btw 1/4- 1/2 cup of mayo)
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a pinch of paprika
- ground pepper to taste
- Put the shredded cabbage and carrots into a large bowl and mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, paprika, and pepper together with a fork to create the coleslaw dressing.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing onto the cabbage and carrot mixture and mix well. Top with salt/pepper to taste.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.