Paleo Meatloaf Topped with Steak Sauce (Gluten Free)
Paleo Meatloaf Topped with Steak Sauce recipe. A yummy grain-free and dairy-free meat loaf recipe topped in a savory homemade steak sauce.
Sometimes, I really do not know what to make for dinner. I’m the type of person that needs a constantly changing menu, so this doesn’t help how often that this dilemma arises.
One meal that I find always “saves the day” for me is meatloaf.
And this Paleo Meatloaf Topped with Steak Sauce especially saved the day for me recently. It’s packed with flavor, it’s moist and delicious, and it pairs well with so many different sides. Plus the paleo steak sauce that is on top is just so good!
I brought this paleo meatloaf to a potluck the other day and it was a huge hit!
No one knew that it was Paleo and everyone loved the steak sauce topping.
Ingredients needed to make this Paleo Meatloaf Topped in Steak Sauce:
- ground beef
- strained tomatoes
- blackstrap molasses
- onion powder
- ground ginger
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- maple syrup
- apple cider vinegar
- almond milk
- almond flour
- red pepper
To get more info on blackstrap molasses, and how it can fit into a Paleo lifestyle, check out this article from The Paleo Mom.
How to make this Paleo Meatloaf:
To start, you need to make the steak sauce.
To do this you add the strained tomatoes, blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, ground ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, chili powder, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper together.
Then saute the minced onion and red bell pepper in a pan.
After that, mix the meat loaf together in a large bowl. This includes the ground beef, almond milk, almond flour, sauteed onion and bell pepper, eggs and some of the steak sauce you just made.
Lastly, put the meatloaf mixture into a baking tin and then top it in the remainder of the steak sauce and bake!
One key to this recipe is to let the meatloaf stand for about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven so that the fat from the meat gets reabsorbed into the meatloaf.
This keeps the meatloaf moist.
What to serve with this Paleo Meatloaf Topped with Steak Sauce:
Hasselback sweet potatoes is amazing with this meat loaf.
I also personally love eating this meatloaf with mashed potatoes and a side-salad.
It would be great with a wide variety of sides / roasted veggies.
This recipe definitely solves the “what should I make for dinner dilemma”, as it changes things up and pleases everyone.
Plus it’s nice to throw something into the oven and it cooks itself. Hope you enjoy it as much as me!
Other healthy meatloaf recipes you may enjoy:
Paleo Meatloaf Topped with Steak Sauce (GF)
Paleo Steak Sauce Ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Make paleo steak sauce. Add all of the paleo steak sauce ingredients into a small bowl, and mix. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of almond milk and 3/4 cup almond flour together. Set aside.
- Then, add the minced onion and red pepper to a frying pan with a bit of olive oil. Cook over medium heat until soft, and the liquid in the pan has evaporated. This was 4 minutes for me.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, eggs, 3 Tbs paleo steak sauce, and the cooked minced onion and minced bell pepper. You can use your hands or a fork to mix. Then, add the almond milk and almond flour mixture to the bowl and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Put the meatloaf mixture into the greased loaf pan. Pat it down so that it is evenly distributed. Cook for 20 mins. Then, take the meatloaf out of the oven and add the remaining steak sauce on top. Smooth the steak sauce out on top of the meatloaf with a spatula. Put the meatloaf back in the oven and cook for another 40 minutes, until the center is cooked. ( The meatload should have an internal temp of 160 degrees F).
- Let the meatloaf stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.