Paleo Chicken Soup (…for the Caveman’s Soul) (GF)
I’ve been all about Spring and Summer recipes lately. Salads, fruit, and basically anything refreshing has been on my radar. And then spring allergies happened. Texas pollen allergies.
Which is where this Paleo Chicken Soup a.k.a “Chicken Soup for the Caveman’s Soul” comes into play.
During certain times of the year, I find Texas to be particularly brutal when it comes to allergies.
Right now my car has a yellow tinge to it from all the pollen!
Luckily, I escaped last week with lots of sneezing, a runny nose, and a slight sore throat.
But my fiancé was not so lucky.
He ended up with a sinus infection and a horrible sore throat.
And on top of that he’s been having a bit of a flare.
If you haven’t read my “about me”, the long story short is that my fiancé has an auto-immune disease, which we have found is best controlled through eating Paleo.
When he’s fine, it’s ok for us to veer off course every once in a while.
But when he’s having a flare, processed foods and dairy are really hard for his body to digest. He gets rashes and fevers, and feels weak. It’s just not worth it.
Since his throat hurt so badly, he wanted soft foods… and he asked for chicken soup.
Something that I have never made before… WELP.
I couldn’t just heat up some water and throw a pack of Lipton’s Chicken Soup into it, especially during a flare.
So, I decided to try to make a Paleo Chicken Soup.
Now normally, I find homemade chicken soup to be rather boring… which is why I put so many spices in here! And the spices really did the trick, at least for me.
Using chicken stock AND adding rosemary, crushed red pepper, oregano, and thyme to the chicken resulted in such a rich, flavorful soup!
I’m so happy with how this Paleo Chicken Soup turned out, that it is definitely going to be my go-to chicken soup recipe!
I began by cooking the onion, garlic, and fennel.
Then I added bite sized chicken and lots of spices and let everything cook together, to create lots of flavor.
I then added chicken stock, sweet potatoes, carrots and cauliflower to the pot and let it all marinate together.
I originally made my soup with 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper, which resulted in a hot kick of flavor.
Which I thought was great.
And which my fiancé liked too because he said this opened up his senses and it felt good for him to be able to taste something.
However, I reduced it to 1/8 tsp for the recipe, because I think that’s a better base for chicken soup.
You can always add more if you are feeling adventurous. 🙂
Paleo Chicken Soup (...for the Caveman's Soul) (GF)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, , minced (this was a scant 1 cup for me)
- 1 small fennel, , chopped (include the stems)
- 6 garlic cloves, , minced (this was 1 Tbs + 2 tsp for me)
- 2 pounds chicken, (organic boneless skinless tenders)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 6 cups organic chicken stock
- 1 sweet potato, , peeled, sliced, and quartered
- 3 large carrots, , peeled and chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower, , cut into small florets
- Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Put the minced onion, minced garlic, and chopped fennel into the pot. Cook for 5-6 minutes while stirring every so often.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and put the chicken into the pot.
- Top the chicken with the salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, oregano, and thyme. Cook for 12 minutes, while stirring every so often.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot, cover, and let everything cook for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low-medium.
- Add the cut up sweet potato, carrots, and cauliflower to the pot, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- (If a you can take a knife and easily slide it through the potatoes, carrots, and cauliflower, then your soup is done! If not, cook for a bit longer.)
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.