Mini Sweet Potato and Bacon Breakfast Quiches (paleo, GF)
Mini Sweet Potato and Bacon Breakfast Quiches are such a great on-the-go breakfast or snack option. They are full of roasted red peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, and spinach and they are topped with crumbled bacon, which makes them both satisfying and delicious.
They have seriously been such a life saver for me lately, that it makes me wish that I had started making them sooner.
It’s not that I didn’t know about them before. I just didn’t like quiche without a crust of sorts. Which is where the beauty of sweet potatoes comes in.
Whether you use sweet potatoes as the crust to a quiche or throw them into the egg batter, they add a consistency and flavor to any quiche, which just makes everything better!
I really love making sweet potato crusts, and attempted to make them here.
But I found that it was really complicated getting the sweet potato pieces to fit into the muffin tin, and then the pieces shrunk and ended up just mixing into the batter.
I learned the hard way to not use paper muffin cups here. :/
They stick to the quiche and then a lot of the quiche sticks to the paper…. which wastes a lot of food.
I found that using muffin cups lined in aluminum foil worked perfectly.
The mini quiches easily peeled away from the quiche, which means you can enjoy the whole mini quiche in one piece!
Oh and if you are looking for more breakfast egg muffin recipes, check out these beautiful Paleo Egg Muffins by Healthy Seasonal Recipes.
Mini Veggie and Bacon Breakfast Quiches (paleo, GF)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 1/2 cup of spinach
- 7 eggs
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 strips of nitrate-free bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cups with a foil lining. Lightly grease the liners.
- Put 1 Tbs olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion, red pepper, and sweet potato to the pan and cook for about 7 minutes while mixing every so often with a rubber spatula.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 Tbs of water to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add another 2 Tbs of water to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Then, add the spinach and another 2 Tbs of water to the pan and cook for 4 minutes while mixing every so often. Once the sweet potatoes are soft enough that a knife can easily go through them, turn the heat off.
- While the veggies are cooling off, whisk the eggs, coconut milk/cream and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Then, cover a plate in paper towels, put 4 strips of bacon onto the paper towels, and cover with another paper towel. Cook the bacon in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. The bacon should be cooked to the point where it crumbles easily. Crumble the bacon.
- Next, put 2 Tbs of the egg mixture into each muffin tin. Top with 1 Tbs of the mixed veggies. Then divide the remaining veggies into the muffin tins evenly. Top with 1 Tbs of the egg mixture and divide the rest into the muffin tins until the mixture is gone. Top each muffin tin with some crumbled bacon.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. (until the tops are slightly golden).
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.