Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole (Paleo, GF)
Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole recipe. A savory and easy spaghetti squash recipe made with a creamy dairy-free sauce.
This Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole is my favorite healthy pasta casserole alternative. It is creamy, protein-packed and incredibly flavorful.
It really hits the spot for those times that I am wanting a creamy pasta dish, but am looking for something healthier.
This casserole is considered to be “primal”, but it can easily be made Paleo and Whole30.
Ingredients needed to make this Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole:
It may look like there are a lot of ingredients in this casserole, but a lot of them are seasoning to flavor it! Below is a list of everything you’ll need to make it:
- spaghetti squash
- chicken breast
- chicken broth ( or bone broth )
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- coconut cream
- coconut flour ( or tapioca flour )
- goat cheese ( optional )
How to make this primal spaghetti squash chicken casserole:
This Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole needs to be made in steps.
I like making it in a certain order so that while part of it cooks, I can continue on with the rest and I can be the most efficient with my time.
Here is the order that I recommend making this casserole in:
Step 1– Bake the spaghetti squash
Step 2– Boil the chicken breast in chicken stock, then shred it
Step 3– Boil the cauliflower in water
Step 4– Make the cream sauce
Step 5– Mix the spaghetti squash, shredded chicken, cauliflower and cream sauce together and pour into a pan
Step 6– Sprinkle the casserole with goat cheese ( optional ), and bake it
Note: I like to broil this casserole at the end of cooking to get it a bit crisp. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. Some ovens are hotter than others!
This recipe does take some prep-work, but it is so worth it!
Some dietary tips to consider for this chicken spaghetti squash casserole:
This Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole is easily customizable to fit your dietary needs.
The goat cheese here is optional, you can omit it for AIP, Whole30, Paleo or if your body can’t handle dairy.
Goat cheese is considered primal and my husband and I enjoy it from time to time. I also think it tastes really good here!
This recipe was shared at the AIP Recipe Roundtable.
Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Casserole (paleo)
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1.5- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 32 ounces chicken broth, ( to boil chicken in )
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 1/2 Tbs minced garlic,
( or 1.5 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 of a yellow onion minced, ( or 1.5 tsp onion powder )
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, (optional- omit for AIP)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, (optional- omit for AIP)
- 1 can coconut cream
- 3 tsp coconut flour, ( or 1 Tbs tapioca flour )
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, (optional- omit for AIP, Paleo, and Whole30)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet in aluminum foil.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the mushy core with a spoon. Then cover the surface with some olive oil and evenly "paint it on" with a silicone basting brush. You could also spray olive oil on top with a cooking spray instead.
- Lay the squash face down on the aluminum paper. Cook the spaghetti squash for 30-40 minutes and then remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooking, put the chicken breast and 32 ounces of chicken stock into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add 1/4 tsp of dried rosemary and 1/4 tsp of dried thyme. Lower to a simmer and cook covered for 30 mins. Remove the chicken from the chicken stock (reserving 1 cup of liquid) and shred it with two forks. Set the shredded chicken aside.
- While the chicken and spaghetti squash are cooking, fill another pan with water and cook the cauliflower (cut into smaller cauliflower floret pieces) for 11 minutes. Remove from heat and strain. Set the cauliflower aside.
- Put 1 tbs of olive oil in a pan. Set the stove top to medium heat. Place the minced garlic and onions into the pan and mix them into the olive oil. Let them cook for 4 minutes. Add the can of coconut cream to the pan, along with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the coconut flour or tapioca flour, and the 1 cup of reserved chicken stock ( from when you boiled chicken) to the mixture and allow the mixture to boil for 8-9 minutes. It will thicken during this time. Remove the mixture from heat.
- Take the spaghetti squash and use a fork to rake against the inside of it, removing the “spaghetti” from the inside.
- Place the shredded chicken, cauliflower, and spaghetti squash in the pot with the creamy white sauce and mix it all together.
- Place everything in a large 13×9 inch pan and cover it in 1/2 cup of crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Set the oven to broil and bake for 5 more minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.