Butternut Squash and Black Bean Turkey Chili
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Turkey Chili recipe. A ground turkey butternut squash chili made with black beans and kidney beans and seasoned with paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, and cumin. It is an easy Fall comfort food chili.
Anyone else as excited about chili season as I am?!
This Butternut Squash and Black Bean Turkey is cozy comfort food in a bowl and a delicious way to incorporate butternut squash into your diet.
Butternut squash brings an element of Fall to this black bean turkey chili recipe. It is also a great source of vitamins A and C. Give me all of this delicious and nutritious chili!
If you are a butternut squash lover, then this turkey black bean butternut squash chili is for you!
And if you are trying to add more butternut squash to your diet because it is so nutritious, then this recipe is definitely for you!
Ingredients needed to make Butternut Squash and Black Bean Turkey Chili:
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- bell pepper (red or yellow)
- ground turkey
- chili powder
- tomato paste
- strained tomatoes
- chopped tomatoes
- butternut squash ( either whole, or pre-cut )
- I like buying bags of pre-cut butternut squash because it is easier and faster, but feel free to cut and cube a butternut squash yourself if you want to.
- black beans
- kidney beans
How to make butternut squash and black bean chili
To start, you sauté the garlic, onion, and red pepper in a large pot.
Then, you add the ground turkey to the pan, along with the tomato paste, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and some of the chili powder.
Once the ground turkey has browned, add the strained and chopped tomatoes, along with the water, beans, cubed butternut squash, and more chili powder.
Simmer the turkey black bean butternut squash chili for 25-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender but not too mushy. This depends on how large or small the cubes of butternut squash are.
Note: I like when my butternut squash is softer, but my husband likes when it is harder. Just keep an eye on your butternut squash but stabbing it with a knife while it cooks to see if it has reached your preferred texture.
FAQs regarding making this butternut squash black bean chili
Can you make this turkey butternut squash chili with something other than turkey?
Yes! You can use ground beef, ground bison, or ground chicken. Really any sort of ground meat of your choice.
Can I use onion powder and garlic powder instead of onions and garlic?
Yes you can. Just skip the step where you sauté them in a pan and add the onion powder and garlic powder to the ground turkey in the pan.
Is this recipe Gluten-free and Dairy-free?
Yup. It is naturally Gluten-free and Dairy-free.
Is this recipe Paleo?
No. Beans aren’t Paleo, and this recipe is made using canned beans. However you could omit them to keep this recipe Paleo. I would just add sweet potatoes or something to add more heartiness to the recipe.
How to serve this turkey butternut squash chili
(1) Add toppings!
You can add LOTs of toppings to your chili…for example…
- plantain chips
- cheddar or vegan cheese
- diced apples
- hot sauce
- sour cream
(2) Use the chili as a topping.
You can also serve your chili on top of other foods. This butternut squash and black bean chili is great to add on top of…
- baked potatoes
- scrambled eggs
I like adding it to rice, along with peppers to give it a stuffed peppers vibe.
The possibilities here are really endless!
Other yummy chili recipes you may enjoy:
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Turkey Chili
- 1/2 of an onion , diced (or 1 tsp dried onion powder)
- 4 cloves garlic, diced (or 1 tsp dried garlic powder)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups strained tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups diced butternut squash, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 14 ounce cans of black beans
- 1 14 ounce can of kidney beans
- Add diced garlic and onion to a large pot with 1 Tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium heat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add the red pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. [Note if you are using onion powder and garlic powder, add the powders to the ground turkey meat in the next step].
- Then add the ground turkey to the pan, along with the tomato paste, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and 1 tsp chili powder. Break up the meat into smaller pieces using a spatula and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the strained and chopped tomatoes to the pan, along with the water, beans, butternut squash, and 2 tsp of chili powder. Mix and bring the chili to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer over low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes, or until the squash is tender but not too mushy. ( It will depend on how large you cut them)
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.