Squash Au Gratin (Paleo, GF)
In the last few weeks, I have realized that I need more “sides” in my life. More creative options and recipes for side dishes, that is.
I know that plain veggies will always be great as a side dish, but what if you want plain veggies, a meat, PLUS a healthy something else on your plate? Like a veggie casserole, perhaps? This Squash Au Gratin is a creamy yet non-dairy paleo dish made with zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash, and topped with crumbled plantain chips… I mean, does that not sounds like the perfect side dish for Fall?!
This Squash Au Gratin, isn’t just great for Fall… I think it would be a great side dish for Thanksgiving. 🙂 🙂
To start, you have to cut the butternut squash, which is always so difficult for me to do! I have found that buying a smaller butternut squash helps with the cutting process.
I cut the butternut squash into 1/2 inch slices, removed the peel, and then halved and quartered each slice. Then, I sliced each of these pieces in half, which left me with 1/4 inch thick pieces.
I microwaved these pieces for 5 minutes so that they wouldn’t take forever to cook.
Then, I made a scrumptious creamy Paleo sauce made out of of onions, garlic, coconut flour, coconut cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme and chicken broth.
I have found that making a cream sauce out of garlic, onions, coconut cream and nutmeg can really mimic the creamy taste of dairy.
Then, I took 1/3 of the sliced zucchini, sliced yellow squash and the microwaved butternut squash and put them into a pan.
I topped them with 1/2 cup of the creamy sauce and repeated this step until everything was done.
Then I baked the squash dish at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, broiled it for a bit, and removed it. I topped the dish with crumbled plantain chips.
Delishhhh. I wasn’t sure if I should have put the plantain chips onto the dish before putting it in the oven, but I liked it this way, as they stayed crunchy, (and didn’t burn). I had an issue with them burning a prior time that I made them.
Anyways, now that Fall side dishes are on my radar, I will be posting a wide array of dishes that would be great for any Fall or Thanksgiving dinner table from now until Thanksgiving! Woop!
Squash Au Gratin (Paleo, GF)
- 1 zucchini, , sliced
- 1 yellow squash, , sliced
- 1/2 of a small butternut squash, ( I used 1/2 of a 1.72 lb butternut squash)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup of diced white onion
- 2.5-3 Tbs diced garlic
- 2 Tbs coconut flour, , divided (I like Nutiva)
- 1 cup coconut cream, (I used Savoy because it has no preservatives and tastes best)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken broth/stock
- 3/4 cup of crushed/crumbled plantain chips, (Trader Joes brand is my favorite, and Paleo)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 1/2 inch slices of your butternut squash, then cut off the outer skin from each slice. Then cut these slices in half and quarters. Slice each quartered piece in half (this makes it easier to get 1/4 inch slices of butternut squash). I ended up with 2 cups of sliced and quartered pieces of butternut squash. Then, put the butternut squash into a microwave safe bowl. Pour 1 cup of water into the bowl and microwave for 5 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Next, sauté the diced white onion and diced garlic in 1 Tbs of olive oil in a pan/pot for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Add 1 Tbs of coconut flour to the onions and garlic and mix.
- Then, add 1 cup of coconut cream to the pot and mix. Add the salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and thyme to the pot, mix, and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of coconut broth or stock and 1 Tbs of coconut flour to the pot, mix, and cook for another 5 minutes. Then increase the heat to medium high and let the mixture bubble for 3 minutes, while mixing often, and set aside.
- Next, grease a glass dish, mine was 8in x 8 in. Put 1/3 of the sliced zucchini, sliced yellow squash and sliced butternut squash into the dish. Top with 1/2 cup of the sauce, smoothing it around to touch all of the squash. Then add then next 1/3 of the sliced zucchini, sliced yellow squash and sliced butternut squash into the pan and top it again with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Repeat this step with the remaining squash and sauce.
- Cook in the oven for 35 minutes. Then, broil at 500 for 2-3 mins, and remove from the oven. Top the whole dish with with crushed plantain chips, let cool, and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.