Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars (Gluten-Free)
Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars recipe. A grain-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo dessert made with a delicious cinnamon shortbread cookie base, and a homemade tart yet sweet cranberry sauce top.
You guys, I am SO excited about these yummy Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars! They have a delicious paleo cinnamon shortbread cookie base, and a homemade tart yet sweet cranberry sauce top. NOM.
They are a great way to use all those extra cranberries in the fridge, and to get in the holiday spirit. Plus they are a wonderful grain-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo dessert option to make for any holiday party or dinner.
Seriously, these Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars have put me in the most festive mood!
They remind me of Thanksgiving and Christmas…because I eat cranberry sauce on both holidays and cranberries are indicative of the upcoming holidays.
I always get excited when I see cranberries at the grocery store because it means Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming!
So I’m now listening to Christmas music and getting the Christmas decorations out. 🙂
Ingredients needed to make these Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars:
- maple syrup
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- almond flour
- coconut sugar
- baking soda
It’s kind of crazy to me how I make homemade cranberry sauce every year, yet I’ve never thought to use it to make a dessert!
Well this has all changed with these Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars.
Cranberry sauce is now meant to be paired with shortbread bars. And you’ll understand this when you try these bars.
This shortbread recipe is different than most because it’s not made with butter or regular flour! I used olive oil, and almond flour instead. I also added a hint of cinnamon because cinnamon goes so well with cranberries.
How to make these Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars:
To start, you make cranberry sauce. To do so you need to add cranberries, maple syrup and water to a pan and cook them for 15 minutes.
Then, you make the shortbread.
To do this, you mix the oil, lemon juice, large egg, and vanilla in a food processor and mix. Then add the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda to the food processor and mix again until a dough forms.
Then push the dough into a pan, and bake for 20 minutes.
Add the cranberry sauce then cook for 10 more minutes.
These Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars are delicious! They are a bit tart and sweet and the cranberry sauce is complimented by the cinnamon shortbread bottom.
I knew that I thought they were delicious, but I wanted to see what my husband thought. So I asked him to taste them. Well, he ate two immediately. And kept saying they were “bomb” in between bites, sooooo it’s safe to say he liked them.
Other healthier cookie recipes you may enjoy:
The Coconut Flour Cookies by Wholesome Yum. Shortbread and chocolate? Yes please! These cookies look super yummy.
These Paleo Snickerdoodles. They are soft pillowly cookies full of cinnamon flavor.
Paleo Cranberry Sauce Bars (GF)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Then make the cranberry sauce. Add the cranberries, maple syrup and water to a sauce pan and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat, until the cranberries have popped, and the mixture is thick. Set the cranberry sauce aside.
- Next make the bar mixture/dough. Put the olive oil, lemon juice, large egg, and vanilla into a food processor and beat until well mixed. Then add the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda to the food processor and mix again. Mix until the mixture forms into a thick dough.
- Push the dough into the pan, trying to make an even layer. It helps to wet your hands so that the dough doesn’t stick to you.
- Cook the bar mixture/ dough for 20 mins. Remove the pan from the oven and top the bars with the cranberry sauce, making sure the cranberry sauce is spread in an even layer. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan prior to cutting into the bars. Lift the bars out of the pan using parchment paper. Cut into squares before serving; can be cut into 9 or 12 squares, depending on the size you want.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.