Paleo Cauliflower, Bacon, and Chestnut Soup
This Paleo Cauliflower, Bacon, and Chestnut Soup is the ultimate cauliflower soup! It’s sweet and creamy, in a cauliflower and coconut cream way, but it is also full of the most delicious roasted nutty and bacon flavors. It’s divine!
Plus, it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free and Paleo. Why make cauliflower soup any other way this winter?
Seriously, I could drink this soup. It’s that good. Ok, ok, I actually did drink this soup… but you probably will too when you taste it!
The onion and garlic cooks with the bacon and so all of the bacon juices seep into them, and thus into the cauliflower soup in such an organic way. And the chestnuts ( which are my favorite holiday flavor), have a rich, nutty, yet sweet flavor. I couldn’t think of more perfect cauliflower soup flavor pairings if I tried!
One thing I should mention before moving on is that steamed chestnuts are now on sale at Williams-Sonoma! Now that is a good deal. I used that exact brand to make this soup, but I paid more for them (womp, womp).
Also, you will need a food processor to make this recipe.
Ok, maybe you don’t haaaave to use one, but it will make your life much easier, and it will make your soup much smoother.
I used a food processor to mince my garlic and onion here, and then I used it to mince the cooked bacon/onion/garlic mixture, the cauliflower, AND the chestnuts.
Oh, and one more thing! Please please please only use coconut cream without any preservatives. The flavor you get from coconut cream without preservatives is so worth it.
I personally can’t find this at the grocery store, so I order mine in bulk on amazon. I always recommend Savoy because the flavor is so pure.
This Paleo Cauliflower, Bacon, and Chestnut Soup can be made without the chestnuts, and it is still delicious! I just love the flavor they add, and I also love crumbling a few and adding them on top of my soup (along with crumbled up bacon!)
Ok, now go make this soup!
Paleo Cauliflower, Bacon, and Chestnut Soup (GF)
- 1 head of organic cauliflower
- 2 Tbs minced garlic (this was 5 cloves of garlic for me)
- 1/2 cup minced onion (this was 1/2 of an onion for me)
- 3 strips of bacon , cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup coconut cream (Savoy tastes great and has no preservatives)
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 1/2 cup steamed chestnuts (this was about 10 full chestnuts for me)
- Cut your cauliflower into smaller florets and put them into a large pan of boiling water and cook for 15 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a large soup pan, add the minced garlic, minced onion, and 3 strips of bacon cut into 3/4 inch sized pieces. Cook for 5 minutes over medium-high heat, mixing often (make sure to not burn the onions, reduce the heat if need be). Reduce the stove heat to low, and cook for another 2 minutes. Next, put the onion/garlic/bacon mixture into a food processor and chop, then scoop the mixture out of the food processor and put it back into the soup pan. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Next, puree the cauliflower using the food processor (you may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your food processor).
- Mix the pureed cauliflower with the onion/garlic/bacon and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Next, add 3 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of coconut cream, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, and 2 Tbs coconut flour the the soup pan and mix.
- Then, put the steamed chestnuts into the food processor and add a few spoonfuls of the soup to it (to make it puree more easily), and puree it. Then scoop everything out and put it all into the soup and mix.
- Simmer the soup on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Note: Use your food processor to mince your onions and garlic…this adds flavor to the soup while keeping the soup texture smooth.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.