Dairy-free Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup (Paleo, Whole30, Gluten-Free)
This Dairy-free Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup is a flavorful and nutrient-filled soup that is creamy, sweet, and full of yummy sweet potato and broccoli flavors.
Confession: my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is in soup form.
I find that sweet potatoes add the perfect creaminess and sweetness to soups. Something that I enjoy very much.
And this Dairy-free Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup is no exception. It’s got the best sweet and creamy taste, along with the added yumminess of broccoli.
If you love both sweet potatoes and broccoli, then this soup is for you.
This broccoli sweet potato soup is really bomb. It’s cozy. It’s rich. It’s delicious. It makes me fall in love with sweet potatoes all over again.
I have another confession… I overdid sweet potatoes when I first started eating Paleo and got so sick of them that I couldn’t eat them for the longest time.
I do not have this problem when it comes to this soup. I could eat this soup all day long.
Ingredients in this Dairy-free Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup:
This soup is made using simple, fresh ingredients.
To make it, you will need the following:
- sweet potatoes
- onion powder
- olive oil
- chicken broth or stock
- coconut flour
- coconut cream
- salt and pepper
- chili powder
- rubbed sage
How to make broccoli sweet potato soup:
To start, you need to boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender.
Then, you’ll need to cook the garlic, minced broccoli, and onion powder together.
After that you add the chicken stock (or vegetable stock!) and coconut flour to the pan and whisk it all together.
Then, it is time to season the soup!
You’ll need coconut cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, chili powder, and sage. Nom.
Lastly, you’ll need to either use an immersion blender or a regular blender to mix everything together.
Tips on making this paleo sweet potato broccoli soup:
Peel the sweet potatoes. You can peel the sweet potatoes before boiling them or after. I like to wait until after because the skin falls right off once they are cooked.
Mincing the broccoli. You can mince the broccoli by hand or you can just put broccoli florets into your food processor. I like using the food processor because it is faster.
Coconut cream. I find that that the best tasting coconut creams are ones that have no added ingredients or preservatives in them. The absolute best coconut cream that I have found is Savoy coconut cream. I swear by it for dairy-free soups and sauces.
Add ins. I love adding crumbled up bacon to this soup. I also love adding some goat cheese, but avoid this if you are trying to keep the soup Dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30.
Thickness of the soup. If you want your soup to be thinner, add more chicken stock after everything has been blended.
This soup is naturally Dairy-free, Paleo, Whole30, Gluten-free, and Grain-free.
BUT if you want to make it Vegan, then use veggie stock instead of chicken stock here.
It’s an easy switch. And it automatically makes the sweet potato broccoli soup vegan. AND SO yummy.
I mentioned this in the recipe card, but you’l need to omit the goat cheese to keep this Dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30.
But if you are ok with a little goat cheese or are following a primal diet, then it’s a yummy addition.
Other healthy dairy-free soups you may enjoy:
Dairy-free Sweet Potato Broccoli Soup (Paleo, Whole30, GF)
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, sliced
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbs minced garlic, (this was 3 cloves for me)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced broccoli, ( this was 1/2 of a head of broccoli minced in a food processor for me)
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cups canned coconut cream, (one 14 ounce can) (I like Savoy)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- a dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- optional cooked bacon, crumbled
- optional crumbled goat cheese, (skip to keep the soup strictly Paleo, Whole30 or Dairy-free)
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat until the water boils. Add the sliced sweet potatoes. Cook the sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and if you didn’t peel them beforehand, remove the skin. ( I find it easier to remove the skin after they are cooked). Set aside.
- Then, put 2 tsp of olive oil in a large soup pan and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic to the pan and mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add the minced broccoli and onion powder to the pan, mix, then cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, mix and let the mixture cook ( it should be lightly boiling) for 2 minutes. Then add the coconut flour and whisk until it is evenly distributed.
- Then, add the coconut cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, chili powder, and rubbed sage to the soup and whisk. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Put the sliced sweet potatoes into the soup and either use an immersion blender to mix everything together or pour everything into a blender and mix. Pour the soup back into the soup pan and serve, or reheat to desired temperature and then serve.
Note:If you want the soup to be more liquidy, you can add more chicken broth. Season to taste.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.