Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe recipe. Yummy dairy-free and gluten-free thin and crispy cookies that have a chewy center.
This Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is the bomb.com. The cookies are thin and crispy, yet chewy, and full of flavor and chocolate chips!
They are addicting and taste amazing with coffee or a glass of red wine. ( I would know, because I have tried them with both)
I know it might seem like I don’t need another Paleo dairy-free chocolate chip cookie recipe on this blog BUT my other chocolate chip cookie recipes are different.
My other chocolate chip cookie recipes are for soft, cakey, or gooey cookies.
I actually didn’t have a crispy cookie recipe on my blog until now!
However, these Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies aren’t completely dry and crispy. They are thin, have a slight crispyness on the outside, but are completely chewy on the inside.
Bonus points that they are naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, and Paleo.
Ingredients needed to make this Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
- almond flour– blanched almond flour works best for baking because it is more refined and has a better texture
- tapioca flour
- coconut flour
- baking soda
- extra light olive oil– make sure to use an extra light olive oil so that the flavor isn’t too Olivey. I would think other types of oils work here but I have not tested it out.
- coconut sugar
- dairy-free chocolate chips
- sea salt ( which is optional)
How to make gluten free chocolate chip cookies:
To start, you mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. This includes the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Using a mixture of those alternative flours keeps this recipe naturally gluten-free.
Note: you need to make sure that the flour brands you use say they are certified gluten-free to ensure that there is no cross contamination.
Then in another bowl, you mix together the olive oil and coconut sugar together until it looks like wet sand.
After that you add in the egg yolk, yolk and vanilla.
Note: the dough is going to be very thick.
Then you fold in the chocolate chips, roll the dough into balls and place onto a cookie sheet and bake!
I personally like to wet my hands a little prior to rolling the dough into balls so the dough doesn’t stick to my hands.
Tips on making this dairy-free chocolate chip cookie recipe:
Tip 1- using silicone baking mats verses parchment paper
I always use a silicone baking mat when I bake cookies, but I tested out making these Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies using both a silicone mat and parchment paper and found that these cookies are far more crisp when baked on parchment paper.
SO, if you want these cookies to be less chewy and more crisp, use parchment paper.
Tip 2- distributing the chocolate chips
This recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of chocolate chips.
I personally like to put 1 cup of chocolate chips into the dough itself. Then I use the remaining 1/4 cup on top of the individual cookies prior to baking.
So, once the cookie dough is rolled into balls and placed on the cookie sheet. I place some chocolate chips on top and lightly press them into each cookie.
Tip 3- Leave plenty of room between each cookie
It is important to not crowd the cookie sheet with lots of cookies because these cookies spread while baking.
What looks like a tiny cookie, will explode and spread into a very large cookie.
So unless you want them to all melt into each other, make sure to give each cookie dough ball some space.
Other Paleo chocolate chip cookie recipes you may enjoy:
As I mentioned earlier, my older chocolate chip cookies are for soft, cakey or gooey cookies, and if those are your thing, check the following recipes out!
Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Preheat oven 325° F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix the olive oil and coconut sugar with a handheld mixer until thoroughly combined. Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. ( Note: I like to put 1 cup of chocolate chips into the dough and then individually place the remaining 1/4 cup on top of the cookies once they are on the cookie sheet)
- Take a heaping Tablespoon amount of cookie dough and put it onto the cookie sheet. I like to roll the dough into a ball and lightly press on it to flatten it a little on the cookie sheet. It helps to have wet hands to roll the dough. Sprinkle with sea salt. Note: be careful to place the cookies far apart from one another because they spread while cooking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft. Do not overbake.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 21 cookies
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.