Grain-free Mocha Chip Banana Bread (Paleo, GF)
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, I’d like you to meet your cousin… Mocha Chip Banana Bread, made with instant espresso, bananas, and chocolate chips. It’s grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and incredibly delicious!
I really wasn’t sure how adding instant espresso would affect banana bread. Would it taste like coffee? Would it be grainy? Would it even make a difference?
Well my friends, it does make a difference. It adds a smooth velvety quality to the banana bread, in taste and in texture.
With each bite that I took of this Mocha Chip Banana Bread, I couldn’t help but think… “oooo so velvety”. Maybe I’m missing some key adjectives that I could use to describe it, but velvety just fits.
And chocolaty. I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips here (gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate), my favorite Paleo chocolate dessert companion.
One of the best parts of this Mocha Chip Banana Bread, apart from the rich flavor, is the crust! Ever since I first topped banana bread with ground chia seeds ( in my Blueberry Chia Banana Bread), I can’t imagine ever stopping!
I mixed ground chia seeds, instant espresso, and a few chocolate chips together. Then I put this topping onto the banana bread batter, and it baked into the best crispy banana bread crust. Yum, yum, yum!
If you are looking for a new grain-free banana bread recipe, with a rich coffee and chocolate flavor, this recipe for you. You really can’t have enough paleo banana bread recipes.
Happy Thursday! 🙂
Note: if you want even more coffee flavoring, you could add more instant espresso. I started off light.
Grain-free Mocha Chip Banana Bread
Banana Bread Ingredients:
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour, ( I like Nutiva Organic for quality and price)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tsp instant espresso, ( I used Medaglia D'Oro)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- ½ cup canned coconut milk, (Golden Star has no preservatives and tastes the best!)
- 2 Tbs coconut oil, (melted)
- 2 mashed bananas, ( this was ½ cup of mashed bananas for me)
- ½ cup enjoy life mini chocolate chips, (I use the Enjoy Life brand because it's dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free and gluten-free)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a small metal loaf pan with wax paper. (I used a 9.25 x 5.5 x 2.75 in metal loaf pan)
- In bowl 1, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, 6 tsp of instant espresso, 1/8 tsp of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg with a fork. Set the bowl aside.
- In bowl 2, mix the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut milk with an electric mixer until well mixed. Add the melted coconut oil to the bowl and mix with the electric mixer until well blended. Add the mashed banana to the bowl and mix with the electric mixer until well blended.
- Put bowl 1 into bowl 2 and mix with an electric mixer.
- Fold the ½ cup of chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a lined loaf pan and then pat the top of the batter with a spoon to make sure it is flat.
- In a small bowl, mix the 2 tsp of ground chia seeds, 1 tsp of instant espresso, and 1-2 tsp of chocolate chips to make the banana bread topping.
- Pour the topping onto the top of the batter and lightly push down with a spoon.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.