Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms (GF)
Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms recipe. Made with only four ingredients( mushrooms, olive oil, coconut cream, and black pepper), but FULL of lots of flavor. Makes a great Whole30, Paleo, or Dairy-free side dish.
One of my all time favorite meals is steak au poivre. The reason for that is because of the black pepper sauce that the steak is slathered in. I’m such a sucker for creamy black pepper sauce!
So I decided to make a dairy-free version…this Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms recipe. It’s such an easy recipe..
You only need four ingredients, and you have a creamy peppery mushroom dish to put on top of any protein of your choice or as side for your meal.
I mentioned above that these Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms would be great on top of the protein of your choice because they taste AMAZING on top of grilled chicken, steak, or burgers.
I actually can’t choose what I like them paired best with…. but one thing that is for sure is that they literally make any protein that much better.
In normal “au poivre” recipes there is a sweetness from the cognac that is added to the sauce, but I felt like that sweetness wasn’t needed here. Which makes this dish also Whole30 compliant.
Though if you want to add cognac or porto, go for it. I’ve done it before and it tastes great.
Black pepper- I have found that using thicker ground pepper worked best for the flavor. I used this 365 brand ground black pepper.
Mushrooms- It’s important to really give the mushrooms time to shrink in size, to sweat, and then to grill. They will be a beautiful golden brown by the time you are ready to make the sauce.
Coconut cream- It is important to use a coconut cream without any preservatives inside. I personally love Savoy coconut cream because it doesn’t take like coconut and has such a rich creamy texture.
Savoy is made with only water and coconut and I’ve found that it works really great for savory dishes.
I hope you enjoy these!
I’d love to see photos of how you eat these Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms. 🙂 #perchancetocook on Instagram and tag me, or email me.
Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms (GF, DF)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms , sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2- 1 cup canned coconut cream ( without preservatives, for Ex. Savoy)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- Add 2 tsp of olive oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the sliced baby bella mushrooms and mix to coat them with the oil. Cook for about 4 minutes, without mixing the mushrooms at all.
- Then mix them frequently while they cook for about 2-3 minutes. At this point the mushrooms should start shrinking in size and sweating.
- Reduce the stovetop heat to medium. Cook the mushrooms for another 4 minutes without mixing them. Mix them, and then cook them while mixing every so often for the next 5-10 minutes, or until the are grilled and golden brown. They shouldn't be "wet" anymore by this point. Add the coconut cream ( I like adding 1 cup because I like extra sauce), ground black pepper and salt to the dish and mix.
- Let the sauce boil and thicken for the next 1-3 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
5 Comments on “Creamy Black Pepper Paleo Mushrooms (GF)”
I am so glad I found this recipe. Super easy and delicious. I did add a spoon for tapioca starch mixed in a bit of water to thicken the sauce.
Glad to hear it!
I tried your recipe a few months back and it was a major hit in my family. Today at breakfast my eleven year old son randomly brought it up, and I remembered how much everyone enjoyed it. I’m trying to do a paleo challenge, so this recipe is perfect! Healthy, delicious, and kid approved. Thank you so much!
Love it! I’m so glad it’s a recipe your whole family loves!
Oh my goodness so good.