Salmon with Coconut Cream Sauce (Dairy free, Paleo, Whole30)
A coconut salmon recipe where crispy pan seared salmon is slathered in a rich coconut cream sauce seasoned with fresh parsley, lemon and nutmeg. A quick healthy meal that cooks in less than 15 minutes! Naturally Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Grain-free, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
I love salmon and cream sauce dishes. So, I decided to make a dairy-free version because I can not have any dairy at all these days.
And wow do I love this salmon with coconut cream sauce so much! Crispy pan seared salmon is covered in a delicious coconut cream sauce that is seasoned with fresh parsley, lemon juice and nutmeg.
It is light and refreshing all while being incredibly creamy. It’s a quick 15 minute healthy salmon recipe and I am super excited to share the recipe.
Table of Contents
- Why I love this coconut salmon recipe:
- Ingredients needed:
- How to make this recipe:
- Tips and Tricks
- Recipe variations:
- How to serve:
- How to store:
- Other salmon recipes you may enjoy:
Why I love this coconut salmon recipe:
- This pan seared salmon recipe is amazing.
- It all comes together in less than 15 minutes.
- It doesn’t taste like coconut surprisingly!
- This recipe is great for anyone with a dairy intolerance or allergy. The coconut cream replaces heavy cream so well.
- My bacon mushroom chicken recipe is another example of using coconut cream to replace heavy cream and it is so delicious!
- This whole30 salmon is wonderful if you are doing a Whole30
- salmon– 4 salmon fillets works best but you can also buy a large piece of salmon.
- salt and pepper
- onion powder– this is used to season the salmon fillets.
- garlic powder– this also is used to season the fish.
- olive oil– extra virgin is always my go-to, but avocado oil works well here also.
- lemon juice– fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- coconut cream– make sure to use a coconut cream without gums or preservatives because it tastes best.
- fresh parsley
- nutmeg– ground nutmeg this helps season the sauce and takes away some of the coconut flavor.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make this recipe:
(1) Sear the salmon.
- Cover the salmon fillets with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
- Sear the salmon on a pan for four minutes a side; then set the salmon aside.
(2) Make the coconut cream sauce.
- Add a can of coconut cream to the same pan that the salmon with in and scrape down the sides.
- Then add the lemon juice, parsley, and nutmeg.
- Let the sauce boil for a few minutes.
(3) Put it all together.
- Add the salmon to the pan with the sauce in it.
- At this point you can also add canned peas to the dish, if you want to. Peas are not Paleo or Whole30 though.
Tips and Tricks
(1) Use a coconut cream that you like the taste of.
- A high quality coconut cream without any preservatives in it has the best flavor. My all time favorite is Savoy coconut cream made of water and coconut.
- I don’t like coconut cream that tastes like sunscreen, so make sure you like the taste of your coconut cream.
(2) Make sure to heat the salmon over medium-high heat.
- This ensures the salmon is crisp and sears.
- Add canned peas or corn to the sauce
- if you aren’t following a Paleo or Whole30 diet, I highly recommend adding peas to the coconut cream sauce
- Peas tend to be a gray area in the Paleo world with lots of articles talking about the benefits of including them in your diet.
- I can tolerate them and I love them, so I like adding them to this dish. You can add them or not add them and it’s delicious all the same.
How to serve:
- Pair it with some lemon asparagus and cauliflower rice ( or regular rice) and you are good to go.
- Eat this seared salmon with coconut cream sauce on top of gluten-free or regular pasta! NOM.
- Add to mashed potatoes or roasted veggies.
How to store:
In an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Other salmon recipes you may enjoy:
If you need more dairy-free salmon inspiration, this Curry Salmon recipe by The Everyday Maven looks unbelievable… it’s the perfect use for red curry sauce. NOM
And if you are able to do dairy, and you are looking for Keto recipes, check out this Garlic Butter Salmon by All Day I Dream About Food.
This turmeric salmon is a healthy anti-inflammatory recipe FULL of flavor.
Salmon with Coconut Cream Sauce (Dairy free, Paleo, Whole30)
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 2 Tbs lemon juice divided
- 1 14 ounce can coconut cream ( Savoy is Paleo and has no preservatives)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- optional- 1 15 ounce can of peas (not Paleo or Whole30)
- In a small bowl, mix 1/4 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder, and ½ tsp onion powder together.
- Then, sprinkle the salmon fillets evenly with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder mixture. Pat down the seasoning onto the salmon fillets.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat.
- Add the salmon fillets to the pan along with 1 Tbs lemon juice. Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Remove the salmon fillets from the pan and put onto a plate. Then add the coconut cream to the pan and scrape down the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Add 1 Tbs lemon juice, ¼ tsp ground nutmeg , ½ tsp salt, and ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley. Boil until thickened a bit (3-4 minutes), then add the salmon fillets back to the pan.
- Note: if adding peas, add the peas to the coconut cream before adding the salmon fillets back to the pan.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.
21 Comments on “Salmon with Coconut Cream Sauce (Dairy free, Paleo, Whole30)”
Should it work if I use coconut milk instead of cream?
If you use canned coconut milk that is thick, it should work!
This is SO GOOD! Super easy, and I’ve subbed things like cilantro for parsley, or lime for lemon and it still tastes great. Go to meal for the ease of cooking and nutrition.
Love the idea of using cilantro and lime! Yum!
If coconut bothers me, do you think I could swap with almond milk?
No, almond milk wouldn’t work because the consistency is too thin. Can you do regular dairy cream? That could work here as well.
This is the most delicious salmon recipe ever!!!! I never want to eat salmon any other way again. I also love that it’s super fast and easy. We served it with multigrain rice.
Yuuuummmmm….so glad you enjoyed it!!
I can’t wait to try this – I am avoiding dairy as well! And, thanks for shouting out my curry salmon <3
Salmon served with cream sauce sounds absolutely divine! Salmon is a favorite in my household and I’m sure everyone would LOVE this meal. Will be trying this ASAP!
This looks amazing! Super easy to make and very creative .. perfect for busy weeknight dinners!
Salmon in cream sauce is such a comfort food for me! Crispy skin makes it extra special!
Wow, this salmon looks so yummy and flaky! Love how quick it comes together, definitely making this soon!
Oh wow – that salmon is cooked to perfection! The cream sauce looks so delicious I can’t wait to try it!
I can’t wait to try his. I’m starting the process of whenning myself of of diary! This location is so good.
For the past few weeks, the hubs and I have been getting into meal prep. I spend my Sunday’s prepping food for lunch during the week and this will be perfect to mix things up!
Love how smooth and flavorful the sauce is. Never tried coconut cream earlier. I can’t wait to try this recipe for my family. Pinned!
I love a good pan-seared salmon! It’s good to see recipes like this that are nice and quick, use minimal pots and are delicious! A great way to get more people to cook healthy foods from scratch!
That cream sauce is legit! My newborn has a milk protein allergy so I’m avoiding dairy right now – this sounds like the perfect way to get my cream sauce fix!
You have successfully passed this craving on to me! I love salmon and I’m trying to get my family to feel the same. Maybe with this cream sauce they will. Pinned to add to my meal planning!
I love a nice coconut cream sauce that add that rich silky smooth texture to the salmon. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!