These gluten-free steel cut oats are a delicious and healthy breakfast recipe made with chia seeds and coconut oil. It is a filling recipe that is yummy with many different toppings.
This recipe has been a life saver for me these last few months. Not only is it delicious, and healthy, but it has also given me a lot of energy. It’s naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, and is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- It is made with a handful of simple ingredients.
- It comes together quickly.
- It is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- It is easy to customize.
- It is healthy! This recipe is full of fiber and healthy fats and Omega 3s.
- Steel cut oats– any brand of organic steel cut oats works here. Make sure the labeling indicates the brand is gluten-free to make sure this recipe is certified gluten-free.
- Almond milk– use almond milk that isn’t sweetened and that doesn’t have any added flavors. You can also use any non-dairy milk of choice.
- Vanilla– with or without alcohol works.
- Chia seeds– this are filled with omega-3s and healthy fats.
- Coconut oil– use a refined coconut oil to have less coconut flavor.
- Honey– raw honey is great in this recipe.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Step by step instructions
Step 1: Add the steel cut oats, almond milk and vanilla to a pan. Boil then simmer until cooked, about 15 minutes.
Step 2: Mix in chia seeds.
Step 3: Serve the oats and top each serving with coconut oil, honey and toppings of choice.
This recipe is great because you can add a wide variety of toppings to it, such as:
- crushed nuts
- almond butter
- sea salt
- chocolate chips
- maple syrup
- diced apples
- To add more protein to this recipe, you can add protein powder or collagen powder.
- If the oats are dry after cooking, stir in a bit more milk.
- You can make this recipe with regular oats, but cooking time will vary.
- Only use coconut oil that you like the taste of, because it does impact flavor.
Other Oat recipes you’ll love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Gluten free Steel Cut Oats with Chia Seeds and Coconut Oil
- Add steel cut oats, almond milk, and vanilla to a pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until done. Mix every so often. (Cooking time may depend on your brand of steel cut oats, so make sure to read the instructions on your steel cut oats package; mine took 15 minutes to cook)
- Remove the oatmeal from heat and immediately mix in the chia seeds while the oatmeal is still hot.
- Then pour the oatmeal into bowls. Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per bowl, and mix. Add honey to taste and mix.
- Serves 2.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.