Honey Banana Cake (Paleo, GF)
Oh my…honey! This Paleo Honey Banana Cake makes me happy. I know this because when I eat it I have a smile on my face. And I know my stomach is smiling too because its just soooo good.
The honey flavor is wonderful. Plus, you really can’t go wrong when honey, banana, cinnamon and almonds are put together. Especially when the ingredients are all non-processed foods! This honey banana cake is perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee… 🙂
This “cake” is more of a banana bread, banana cake hybrid…. I wasn’t sure what to call it, but I guess it doesn’t really matter if its a cake or a bread because its delicious!
The recipe was inspired by a Banana Honey Cake recipe that I saw on the Williams Sonoma website. I thought that it was such a great idea, that I had to eat something like it right away.
There was a teeny problem though… the Williams Sonoma recipe isn’t Paleo. I though that it wouldn’t be hard to make a Paleo version.
Well, I was wrong. Sometimes I can easily and quickly turn a regular recipe into a Paleo recipe, but not this time.
This recipe took me three, maybe four tries to get right… I wasted so many bananas… and almond flour… and honey… booo.
I quite honestly would not have been convinced that I had it “right” yet had it not been for the reaction of my paleo recipe experiment guinea pigs, I mean, my friends.
The “is this really paleo?!” exclamations from multiple people made me realize that I had come up with something good.
I quite honestly think that I found my new go-to banana bread/cake recipe!
This was much needed for me. I’m sorry, but I can’t eat meat for breakfast all the time and I can only have eggs maybe twice a week for breakfast.
I don’t even mind that it took me so many tries to get right because it was worth it. I feel more prepared to tackle other Paleo meals now that I have many breakfasts covered.
One great thing about this cake is that it is easy to cut into pieces and bring over to someones house.
I brought some to a party and they were a great success. 🙂
No one guessed or knew that they were Paleo and everyone loved them!
*Note: make sure that when the honey banana cake comes out of the oven, that it cools thoroughly because otherwise it may be too mushy or crumbly to handle.
Honey Banana Cake (Paleo)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave-- about 30-40 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg) and set aside.
- In another separate bowl, mash two bananas and set aside.
- In the third main bowl, put the melted coconut oil and the maple syrup in a bowl and mix well with an electric mixer until the substance hardens a bit...it should lighten and take 30 seconds to a minute. It could take more time if the maple syrup is warm. Add the honey and beat with the electric mixer until completely mixed. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well with the electric mixer.
- Add 1/2 of the mixed dry ingredients to the mixture and mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Add the last half of the mixed dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the last of the mashed bananas and mix well.
- Pour into a 8x8 inch greased pan (I used a glass pan), evenly top the batter with the 1/3 cup of chopped almonds.
- Bake for 40 minutes (switch directions of the pan half-way through)
- Let cool and enjoy 🙂
- Note: make sure this cools thoroughly because otherwise it can be too mushy or crumbly to handle.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.