Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu
Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu recipe. A delicious tiramisu recipe made without heavy cream. It is made with alternative ingredients such as coconut cream instead of heavy cream and coconut sugar instead of white sugar.
Tiramisu may have been my first love. I have been on a mission to find the best one and I always order it every time that I see it on the menu. I order tiramisu almost every time that I see it on the menu. This is, of course, for research purposes.
For this recipe, I took my favorite tiramisu recipe and tweaked it with alternative ingredients .
So I replaced the heavy cream with coconut cream, used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar, and added a coffee and Kahlua mixture that I love.
This resulted in the BEST healthy tiramisu that I have probably ever made, and I call it my favorite Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu.
This healthy tiramisu recipe is fresh and light.
It’s got the perfect balance of cocoa, coffee and kahlua.
Ingredients needed to make this Coconut Cream Tiramisu:
- coconut cream
- marscapone cheese
- coconut sugar
- dark coffee
- lady fingers
- cocoa powder
This healthy tiramisu does not taste like coconut, especially when made with coconut cream without preservatives. This is important! Make sure that you like the taste of your coconut cream as this can affect the flavor of the whole thing. My favorite is Savoy coconut cream.
It also doesn’t taste coconutty because there is mascarpone cheese in the recipe.
How to make this tiramisu recipe without heavy cream:
To start, put your coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight!
Then, in a large bowl beat the coconut cream until it is whipped.
In another bowl, mix the coconut sugar into the mascarpone cheese. Then, fold the cheese mixture into the coconut cream.
In a third bowl, mix the coffee, kahlua, and some cinnamon together. Dunk 1/2 of the lady fingers into the coffee, making sure the liquid soaks through.
Put the soaked lady fingers into a glass baking dish. Then top with 1/2 of the coconut cream mixture. Then, sprinkle some cinnamon and cocoa powder on top. Repeat the steps once more.
Cover and refridgerate for 4-6 hours, or overnight.
Tip: refrigerate it overnight if you can. The flavor is best the longer the flavors melt together.
How to serve this healthy tiramisu recipe:
My favorite way to serve this Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu is with berries and mint on top. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries with fresh mint. YUM.
The small hints of mint are so refreshing!
I personally like tiramisu recipes that have more of a coffee and kahlua flavor ( I’m not a fan of the almond flavored ones).
This recipe reflects my tiramisu preferences. So if that’s your favorite type, this recipe is for you!
FYI- After 25 years of searching for the best tiramisu. I did indeed find it! The best tiramisu of ALL TIME is from a small yet busy restaurant in Florence called Trattoria Cammillo.
I found it in a book that my brother bought me when I graduated law school called “Where Chefs Eat“.
The tiramisu from Trattoria Cammillo was not particularly pretty. It was yellow in color, and was scooped onto a plate like pudding. But let me tell you, if there was a tiramisu heaven, this tiramisu would be it. Hands down. I’ve never tasted anything like it and I dream about when I can go back to try it again.
Other creamy recipes you may enjoy:
This Strawberry Almond Milk is dreamy! It is made with a homemade strawberry syrup. It’s creamy and sweet and just perfect!
If you are looking for another creamy dessert idea, check this Cheesecake Mousse from Food Doodles. It looks perfectly creamy and is a quick option for anyone craving cheesecake!
This Vegan Coconut Cream Pie by Salted Plains is a no-bake coconut pudding pie that looks AMAZING.
Healthier Coconut Cream Tiramisu
- 1 can of coconut cream, (14 ounces) (with no preservatives, Savoy is great), refrigerated at least over night or frozen 2 hours
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dark coffee
- 1/2 cup kahlua
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, (for the coffee mixture)
- 1 package of lady fingers, (7 oz / 200 g)
- 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, (divided)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, (divided, for layering)
- optional: berries and mint leaves on top
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut cream until it forms a whipped cream texture (you can also do this in a food processor)
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut sugar into the mascarpone cheese. Then, fold the mascarpone cheese into the whipped coconut cream. Make sure to gently fold the mascarpone into the coconut cream, don't mix it or you won't get the right texture.
- In a medium bowl, mix the coffee, kahlua, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon together. Dunk 1/2 of the lady fingers into the coffee, making sure the liquid soaks through. I like to hold each lady finger under the coffee/kahlua mixture and count to 2.
- Put 1/2 soaked lady fingers on the bottom of a glass baking dish (10-11 of them) (Mine was 8×8 inches), then top the lady fingers with 1/2 of the coconut cream mixture. Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 Tbs of cocoa powder on top of the coconut cream mixture. Soak the other 1/2 of the lady fingers in the coffee mixture, and put on top of the cream in the dish. Top with the remaining coconut cream mixture. Top with 1/2 Tbs cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and berries/ mint leaves.
- Cover and refridgerate for 4-6 hours, or overnight.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.