Berry Chocolate Mousse Brownies (Paleo, GF)
I know I keep talking about trying to be healthy for my upcoming wedding, but it’s all about balance, right?! Which means… I need my chocolate from time to time. And even though Paleo desserts are healthier for you than those with processed foods in them, they can still have their fair share of calories.
So, in an effort to create a more guilt-free, non-processed Paleo dessert, I worked on making one with no sweetener at all (no honey or maple syrup), and no oil either ( no olive oil or coconut oil). And the result is these Berry Chocolate Mousse Brownies, a light, delicious, low calorie, chocolate dessert with an almost mousse-like consistency that bursts with strawberry and raspberry flavor.
That was a mouth full!
But let me tell you, these are really good! And a really great reminder that you don’t need to add more sugar (even if it is in the form of honey or maple syrup) to your desserts!
One banana and some berries was enough to add a simple sweetness to the chocolate batter here. And no, you can’t taste the banana at all.
Plus, using almond flour provides a good source of protein, fiber, and monounsatured fats to the recipe. Which results in feeling satisfied and full.
The combination of chocolate, strawberries, and raspberries is really delicious, so all you chocolate and berry lovers will love this! I imagine blueberries and cherries would be fantastic here as well… is it cherry season yet?!
I made this recipe several times and I found that cooking this at a lower temperature (325 F) results in more of a mousse-like consistency, where upping it to 350F, has more of a brownie-cake-like consistency.
Both are delicious. Both hit the spot.
One tip that I have would be to sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the brownies after taking them out of the oven, this ensures that the chocolate is melted and doesn’t burn.
Oh and these refrigerate really well too! Which is great because you can eat them warm or cold.
And being tempted isn’t too much of a bad thing because I calculated the calories for these Berry Chocolate Mousse Brownies and if you cut these into 8 servings, each serving is about 175 calories. And if you cut these into 6 servings, each serving is about 231calories.
Chocolate deliciousness at only 175 calories a piece?! Yes please!
Berry Chocolate Mousse Brownies (paleo, GF)
- ½ cup enjoy life mini chocolate chips (Enjoy life is dairy-free), plus some extra chocolate to sprinkle
- 2 Tbs canned coconut milk (golden star tastes great because it has no preservatives)
- a scant ½ cup mashed banana (this was 1 banana for me)
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 Tbs coconut flour
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup of sliced and quartered strawberries (this was 5 strawberries for me)
- Grease a small pan with coconut oil ( I used a 9 in x 6 in ceramic pan).
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F or 350 degrees F (depending on how mousse-like you want your brownies)
- Put 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 2 Tbs of coconut milk together in a bowl and microwave until melted. Mix the chocolate until smooth and then add the mashed banana to it and mix. Then add two eggs to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cocoa powder, almond flour, and coconut flour together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Fold in the raspberries and strawberries.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top of the brownies are hard yet soft inside.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.