General Tso Meatballs (Paleo, Gluten-free)
General Tso Meatballs are moist, skillet meatballs flavored with green onion, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Cooked in a delicious Gluten-free, Paleo General Tso sauce.
I have been loving these General Tso Meatballs! They are super moist and full of green onion and ginger flavors. And they cook in ( and absorb ) the most delicious sauce made from coconut aminos, almond butter, hot sauce, blackstrap molasses, and honey.
It took me a few tries to get this General Tso Meatball recipe right. I wanted there to be enough sauce…not too much but not too little.
I also wanted to make a General Tso sauce made with healthier ingredients.
Ingredients needed for this General Tso Meatball Recipe
- ground beef
- almond flour
- green onions
- ground ginger
- sesame oil
- red pepper flakes
- tapioca flour
- chicken broth
- coconut aminos
- apple cider vinegar
- blackstrap molasses
- almond butter
- hot sauce
- sesame seeds
How to make these General Tso Meatballs
This recipe may look complicated, but it really only takes a few key steps.
Step 1: Mix the liquid ingredients together that will eventually be the sauce.
To do this, you just need to whisk the chicken broth, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, blackstrap molasses, almond butter, hot sauce, and honey together in a bowl.
Step 2: Mix the meatball mixture together.
In a large bowl, you’ll need to mix together the ground beef, almond flour, green onions, egg, garlic, ground ginger, sesame oil, salt, and red pepper flakes.
Then, take a Tablespoon sized amount of the meatball mixture and roll it into a ball.
Next, you’ll need to dunk the meatball into tapicoa flour and roll it in your hands together to spread the flour around.
Step 3: Cook the meatballs
Lastly, you need to cook the meatballs! This is done in a two step process.
To start, you cook the meatballs in oil and sear them on opposite sides.
Then, you remove the meatballs from the pan, add in the sauce and add the meatballs back in.
They need to simmer for a few minutes per side and then they are done!
More healthy meatball recipes
General Tso Meatballs (Paleo, GF)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 Tbs coconut aminos
- 3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs blackstrap molasses
- 1.5 Tbs almond butter
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1.5 Tbs honey
- 1 lb. ground beef 90 % lean
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 4 green onions thinly sliced, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- a pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- avocado oil for frying
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, mix chicken broth, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, blackstrap molasses, almond butter, hot sauce, and honey and whisk. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine ground beef, almond flour, 2 green onions, egg, garlic, ground ginger powder, sesame oil, salt and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine.
- Take a heaping Tablespoon amount of the meat mixture and roll into a meatball. Then, roll the meatball in tapioca flour to coat. Roll between your hands to distribute the flour. Put onto a plate. Repeat the remaining meatball mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat about 1/2" of avocado oil. Add meatballs and cook until seared on opposite sides, about 3 minutes per side. ( 6 mins total). Remove meatballs from the skillet and drain fat.
- Then, pour the liquid mixture to the skillet, make sure the honey isn’t stuck to the bottom of the bowl, scrape it off if does. Once the liquid starts boiling, add the meatballs back into the pan and simmer for 4 minutes on medium heat. Flip the meatballs and then simmer for another 4 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle the dish with the remaining green onion and sesame seeds.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.