Paleo Beef and Winter Vegetable Soup (Gluten-Free)
This Paleo Beef and Winter Vegetable Soup recipe is inspired by the idea of a beef and barley soup but tweaked it to create a Paleo, grain-free version. It’s a rich tomato and beef broth soup full of beef, sweet potato, carrots, green beans, and kale.
I had the urge to make a beef soup recently, which is unusual because I have never made a beef soup before. Chicken soup? Yes. Beef stew? Yes. But not a beef soup.
The last time that I slurped down a big bowl of beef soup, it was the kind that comes from a can. And that was about 15 years ago!
- stew meat
- bay leaves
- tomato paste
- coconut flour
- beef broth
- sweet potato
- green beans
In this Paleo Beef and Winter Vegetable Soup recipe, I was inspired by the idea of a beef and barley soup but tweaked it to create a paleo, grain-free version.
It’s a rich tomato and beef broth soup full of beef, sweet potato, carrots, green beans, and kale.
How to make this soup:
To start, I seared the beef cubes with spices and tomato paste, which results in a delicious flavor that releases into the soup as it cooks.
Then, I sautéed the onions and carrots.
And then I added the beef broth, thyme, bay leaves, sweet potato, and the sautéed beef to the pot and let everything simmer for a while.
In the very last 5 minutes of cooking the soup, I added the green beans and kale.
I honestly think that the kale in this soup might be the best part. Kale + beef broth is seriously the best! Why would you ever have soup without kale?
As for the green beans, I was hesitant as to whether to add these crunchy little guys to the mix. Of what I have read, green beans are in the gray zone of paleo. As in, some think they are paleo and some think they aren’t.
For me, if it comes from the earth, and is a vegetable, I’m not going to cut it out of my life completely.
If they are not for you ,though, you can leave these out and it will be just as delicious.
One thing to note is to make sure that when the soup is simmering that the heat isn’t too strong. You don’t want the meat to get too tough :/
Also! I melted two beef bouillons into 6 cups of water but feel free to use ready made or homemade beef broth if you have that handy.
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
Paleo Beef and Winter Vegetable Soup (GF)
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast or stew meat cut into cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 6 cups beef broth ( I melted 2 beef bouillons into 6 cups of hot water)
- 3 cups of chopped kale
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 cup of green beans
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and paprika on to the meat.
- Heat 2 Tbs of olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and tomato paste to the pot, and sear on an all sides—3-4 mins total. Remove the meat, set on plate, and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to the same pot, and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, mixing often. Then add the carrots and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of beef broth, 1 tsp of coconut flour, and ½ tsp thyme to the pot. Scrape the sides and bottom of the pot with a spatula. Cook for about 3 minutes, while letting the liquid reduce a bit.
- Add 5 cups of beef broth, the bay leaves, the meat and the sweet potato to the pot. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Partially cover and simmer for 40 mins.
- Add the kale and green beans, cook for another 5 mins. (check to see if the meat is the desired texture/cooking, if so then stop cooking. If not then cook for a bit longer
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.