Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries (Paleo, GF)
Sweet potato fries. One would think that they would be simple enough to make, but that has not always been the case for me. Some have turned out too soggy, some too sweet, and some just didn’t have that extra oomph that makes you feel like you are eating fries.
Since I really really love sweet potato fries and since sweet potatoes play an important role in my diet, I have been experimenting with how to make the best baked sweet potato fries. And these Seasoned Sweet Potato Fries are my favorite!
Why? Well, These fries have the ideal balance between soft and crisp texture. They are also perfectly seasoned; the heat and flavor from the seasoning makes these crispy fries that much more irresistible.
Plus they are baked! Which means that they are not only delicious, but also healthier.
I’d say that my favorite part about these fries though, is that you just really feel like you are eating fries…instead of baked sweet potatoes.
Which tastes and feels so good! Especially when you are in the mood for fries!
I have found the key to seasoning the pre-cooked fries is to toss them in coconut flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper–all while the sweet potatoes are in a large bowl.
Sprinkling the seasoning on top of the pan just doesn’t work as well and the coconut flour doesn’t work it’s magic that way.
Coconut flour absorbs the natural liquid from the sweet potato, which makes crispier fries possible.
Once the sweet potatoes are covered in the seasoning, make sure to lay them all out on the pan so that each fry touches the bottom.
You may be tempted to just dump the fries onto the pan from the bowl but it’s worth the extra minute it takes to arrange them on the pan. The fries cook more evenly that way.
Also, once you take the fries out of the oven, it is important to not leave them on the pan too long.
This should be no problem though because these bad boys never last long.
I most often eat these fries with chicken, but you can eat them with whatever your heart (or stomach) desires! That’s the beauty of these fries, they are so versatile!
Speaking of versatile, what other spices do you enjoy putting on your sweet potato fries? I’m curious to try new flavor combinations!
Seasoned sweet potato fries
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 3 smaller sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp coconut flour, ( I like Nutiva Organic for quality and price)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet in aluminum foil.
- Pour 1 tbs olive oil onto the foiled cookie sheet and use a silicone basting brush to brush it evenly onto the pan. (I used a silicone pastry brush).
- Mix the coconut flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in fry shaped pieces and put into a large bowl.
- Cover the potatoes in the spices and mix well in the bowl.
- Place potatoes on the cookie sheet. Make sure each fry touches the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Set the oven to broil mode and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Check it every minute or so to make sure they don't burn.
- Enjoy 🙂
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.