Bison Chorizo and Red Pepper Quiches (Paleo, GF)
These Bison Chorizo and Red Pepper Quiches are scrumptious muffin-shaped quiches. They have a great spice to them (from the chorizo), which goes so well with the roasted red pepper and onions. Yum!
They are also portable, which is super convenient, and thus make for a great on-the-go Paleo breakfast or snack!
I personally had never had bison chorizo before making these Bison Chorizo and Red Pepper Quiches. And my only reaction to this tidbit is…. “WHY?”
It’s so good!
Normally chorizo is made out of pork and pork fat, and I tend to find the texture and taste to be too fatty as a whole, which is why I never eat it. I love the taste, but I get weird about the flavor of fatty meats. I also find them to be much harder to digest.
But this Bison Chorizo is made out of buffalo, which is a much leaner meat. There is way less calories and less fat in bison compared to pork, or even beef. Bison also has more protein. 🙂
So basically it’s a win win for me because I can have the spicy rich chorizo flavor in a leaner protein way.
I bought mine online at US Wellness Meats, and plan on buying more.
I loved making and eating these Bison Chorizo and Red Pepper Quiches, as it changed things up in the breakfast department… and I was getting a bit bored of the usual.
Plus it made for a wonderful snack for my husband. Ever since going Paleo, our normal snacks around the house are almonds or dried fruit or fruit. He LOVED having these mini quiches in the fridge to snack on. I have a feeling, I will have many a request to make this recipe again.
Bison Chorizo and Red Pepper Quiches (paleo, GF)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onions
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers (1/2 of a red pepper for me)
- 1/2 pound ground bison chorizo
- 8 eggs
- 3 Tbs almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease each tin of a 12 muffin tin pan.
- Put 2 tsp olive oil, and the diced onion into a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes while mixing often.
- Add the diced red pepper, mix and cook for 3 minutes. Reduce the stovetop heat to medium.
- Add the ground buffalo chorizo to the pan, along with a pinch (or more) of red pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes, or until the meat is browned. As you mix, break up the ground chorizo into small pieces.
- In a large bowl whisk 8 eggs, 3 Tbs almond milk and 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp of dried parsley together. Add the cooked chorizo/red pepper mixture to the eggs and mix.
- Then, put 3 Tbs of the egg mixture into each muffin tin.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.