Broiled Salmon with Apple Cranberry Compote (Paleo, GF)
Crispy on the outside, flaky on the inside, and topped with homemade apple cranberry compote.
- 7.5 ounces (2 cups) of fresh cranberries
- a scant 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice, (this was the juice of 1 orange for me)
- 1 cup of diced apples, ( this was 1 apple for me)
- a few splashes of olive oil
- 1- 1.25 lb of salmon, ( cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 Tbs of lemon juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Combine the fresh cranberries, orange juice, and diced apples in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until the liquid is boiling. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, mixing every so often.
Set the oven to broil.
While the oven is heating, cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and top it with a splash of olive oil. Put the salmon, skin-down onto the cookie sheet. Top the salmon with a splash of olive oil, the 1 Tbs of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
Broil the salmon for 8-10 minutes, until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
Top each piece with the apple cranberry compote.