Naturally Sweet & Crunchy Paleo Kale Salad (gf)
I can’t get enough of kale lately. I used to mostly juice it, but now I can’t stop adding it to salads. Now that I think about it, I feel like kale was designed to be in salads. 🙂
Why? Well, it doesn’t wilt, even if it is covered in dressing. Salad dressing gets stuck in all of its natural ridges, which spreads the flavor around evenly. And it has an extra crunch that livens up any salad and which makes it more satisfying. Especially like in this Naturally Sweet & Crunchy Paleo Kale Salad.
It’s a delicious and healthy Paleo salad full of kale, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, raisins, apples, almonds, and avocado.
There is just so much goodness going on in one small bowl.
Which is why it has been on my lunch rotation lately.
The avocado and almonds combo keeps me full, while the kale, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, raisins and almonds add a satisfying crunch, and lots of yummy antioxidant-full flavor.
Plus its super easy to throw together. I’ve been making it in the morning while I eat breakfast…
I chop everything up and mix it all together while listening to music and taking bites of breakfast, and then I put it into Tupperware and bring it to work.
I kind of like that routine actually.
Cutting up fruit and vegetables is kind of therapeutic…Do you know what I mean? haha
This Naturally Sweet & Crunchy Paleo Kale Salad doesn’t have to made the day of, though, it can be great as part of your Sunday meal prepping.
However, if you are going to make it in advance, hold off on adding the avocado until the night before or the morning of….just to keep it fresh.
The night before is fine here because the lemon dressing keeps the avocado from browning, which is great.
Lemon is a miracle … I always cover any half eaten avocado in lemon juice before putting it in the fridge, and find that it really keeps it from browning.
But in general, I don’t like to cut up avocado more than a day in advance for optimal flavor and texture.
I love knowing exactly what is in my food, and making your own salads and dressing is the best way to do that.
Also, if you are looking for more protein, this Naturally Sweet & Crunchy Paleo Kale Salad tastes great with grilled lemon chicken and/or hard boiled eggs. 🙂
Naturally Sweet & Crunchy Paleo Kale Salad
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp mustard, (dijon or hot english mustard)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups of chopped kale
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, , halved
- 1/2 of a small avocado, , sliced
- 1/2 of a red pepper, , diced
- 1- 1.5 Tbs of raisins
- 12 almonds
- 1 cup of diced golden delicious apples, (this was 1 small apple for me)
- In a small bowl, mix all of the dressing ingredients together: 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp mustard, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Set the dressing aside.
- Put 1.5 cups of chopped kale into a large bowl, cover in the dressing and mix well.
- Add the 6-8 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 of a small avocado (sliced), 1/2 of a red pepper (diced),1-1.5 Tbs of raisins, 12 almonds, and 1 cup of diced golden delicious apples to the kale salad. Mix until everything has dressing on it.
- Serves one.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no cost to you.